“What really knocks me out is a book that, when you're all done reading it, you wish the author that wrote it was a terrific friend of yours and you could call him up on the phone whenever you felt like it. That doesn't happen much, though.” — J.D. Salinger

Thursday, October 3, 2013

Kiss


Kiss
Started: September 30, 2013
Finished: October 2, 2013
Rating: 2 Stars
Should You Read It: Maybe, Maybe Not.

Written by: Ted Dekker & Erin Healy
Narrated by: Pam Turlow

GoodReads Description: Let me tell you all I know for sure. "My name. Shauna."
I woke up in a hospital bed missing six months of my memory. In the room was my loving boyfriend--how could I have forgotten him?--my uncle and my abusive stepmother. Everyone blames me for the tragic car accident that left me near death and my dear brother brain damaged. But what they say can't be true--can it?


What I Thought: Well, this book did not end up "intensely riveting" for me like I hoped it would. The main character, Shauna, drove me crazy throughout the entire book. She wanted to be a brave woman, and she tried a few times but she would then end up practically throwing her hands up in the air and yelling, "This is too hard! Everyone hates me! I don't remember anything!" Very annoying. She did find her big girl pants eventually but it took a while to get there. I thought the "ability" she had was a silly addition. If you are going to give someone an "ability" then there needs to be more than just that one touch of fantasy/sci-fi/paranormal in the book, otherwise it seems completely out of place. One thing I did like was that even though it was a "thriller" that there was no real foul language. I believe Ted Dekker is a Christian writer which explains why the language was clean and there were no gratuitous sexual scenes. So gold star Mr. Dekker. The story was interesting though so I can't say that I didn't like it at all, it just wasn't what I was expecting and maybe my expectations were a little out of porportion. Also, I believe that a narrator can make or break an audio book, (Ed Westwick can't narrate everything unfortunately) and I think this story wasn't suited to Pam Turlow. 

All in all I will give Ted Dekker another chance when I can find another audio book of his at my local library. Have any thoughts on this book? Leave a comment! Let's discuss!



Next on deck: The Orchardist 
Written by: Amanda Coplin

No comments:

Post a Comment